- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 bunch kale (any kind will work), washed and chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil for salad
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 avocado
- 8 oz salmon
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil in covered pot with a pinch of salt.
- Add quinoa, lower heat to simmer and let simmer 10 minutes.
- After 8-10 minutes when there is still some water left, add in chopped kale.
- Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes then remove from heat and let sit another 5 minutes still covered.
- Combine half of lemon juice with zest, scallions, olive oil, nuts, and cheese in bowl.
- Add quinoa-kale mixture to bowl.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients into the bowl.
- Add in 2/3 avocado (sliced or cubed).
- Top with salmon.
- Heat a large non-stick pan on high heat with olive oil.
- Liberally season salmon with salt and pepper.
- Place skin side of salmon down in pan and reduce heat to medium-low. And allow to cook about 5-6 minutes or until well-browned and cooked about three-quarters way through.
- Turn fillets over and cook about 2-3 minutes more or until just barely pink in the center.
Nutrition Facts per serving (Makes 3 servings)
Calories: 504 Fat: 24 gm, Protein: 27 gm, Carbohydrates: 45 gm, Fiber: 8 gm