More things than you think can bust up a bikini bod! Believe it or not, it is typically not a burger, fries and milkshake as most people realize those are full of calories! For many women, the annoying calories that keep you from reaching your goal are tucked away in the details you’re overlooking. It’s the fancy coffee beverage with the oats and eggs or the adult beverages with the fish, veggies and brown rice. Check out these 5 bikini body busters to make sure you keep yourself in check with the little things to help you meet your goal:
- Alcohol: Ladies watch out! Alcohol in itself has more calories than carbs or protein (7 calories per gram versus 4 calories). When mixed with any kind of sugary beverage like soda, juice, etc., you can add up to 300-400 calories a drink easy. As we approach warmer weather where margaritas and fruity beverages gain popularity, be careful! These can bust up your bikini body quick and most people don’t care what they eat after a few drinks which can lead to more calories. Try sipping a glass of wine or an ounce of clear liquor mixed in a no-low calorie beverage for less calories.
- All natural juices: Yes fruit is good for you and has tons of vitamins and minerals! When you eat the fruit, you also get fiber which helps you feel full faster and is heart healthy, but when you juice the fruit you loose the fiber component. Many “natural” juices add up to 60-80 grams of sugar by the time you down the whole bottle and that is a lot of calories! Yes, there are nutrients, but most juices are not filling and can spike your blood sugar leaving you looking for more sugar later. So if you want an 8 ounce glass of juice with a protein-rich breakfast, yes go with a natural juice, but as a rule of thumb eat your fruit don’t drink it!
- Fancy coffee drinks: Frappuccino this and mocha-latte that can bust up a bikini body! Hear this dietitian out, coffee and low-fat milk are good for you, but syrup, whip and drizzle add up real quick on the calorie calculator! Take a look at what fills your morning cup and aim for coffee, milk and some sweetener. Cut back on the sugary add-ins to keep that bod in check!
- Healthy fats: Just because its good for you does not mean eat as much of it as you want! Many people’s problem is not choices, its portions. Healthy fats often fall into the overeaten category. Things like peanut butter, nuts, trail mix and hummus are tasty and heart healthy, but fat yields more calories per gram than carbs and protein do so you have to watch your serving. Garnish your plate with a healthy fat (nuts in your oatmeal, avocado on your wrap, hummus with whole wheat crackers and carrots); don’t make it a whole food group on the plate!
- BLTs: What does bacon, lettuce and tomato have to do with a bikini body? Nothing! But Bites, Licks and Tastes sure do! Often times when we don’t eat a whole, we end up nibbling our way to hundreds of calories without realizing it! A few bites off your child’s plate, licking the spoon as you make the family cookies, a taste of everything you’re cooking, etc. adds up over the course of the day and week, especially when that is in addition to meal. Be mindful of what you are putting in your mouth. Try chewing gum when you cook and having a snack versus snacking to avoid BLTs all day long.